- Chuck Hagel's view on the 'bloated' Pentagon, budget has changed When he was asked in 2011 about the possible impact of the sequestration on defense, Chuck Hagel breezily replied that the Pentagon was "bloated" and "needs to be pared down." In his first major speech as defense secretary on Wednesday, Mr. Hagel's a
- Kindness is appreciated Editor: I recently attended a Celebration of Life funeral for a dear friend. Over 200 people attended. There were great preachers, two, and the music was great. I left uplifted in spirit. But, I only wished my friend could have known who all she help
- Have you ever been schooled?
April Fools joke?
This morning as I was deciding on my day's activities, I heard an interesting article on the local TV channel that announced a breakthrough in the ability to communicate with gorillas.
What do you think?
By JIM RIPPY
I have been using excerpts from an e-mail sent to me for the past two weeks. It listed several examples of how ridiculous our government seems at times under the title, "Founded by Geniuses; Run by Idiots."
- A breakthrough on fracking Last week brought a heartening breakthrough in the war over fracking: A handful of major green groups and big drillers agreed on environmental standards. We'd forgive you for raising a skeptical eyebrow. Some in the industry have been claiming that f
- Not at home on the range I know there are couples who enjoy cooking together and make it look like a well-rehearsed ballet. They savor the aroma of their secret recipe for wild salmon over lemon couscous, stir each other's soups and sample each other's sauces. Their skills a
- Who really gets a 'free lunch'? Chicago Democrats in Springfield have said downstate schools are getting a "free lunch" when it comes to education funding. They charge that our schools are getting more than their fair share of education dollars. The rationale for this claim is that
- Sex scandal that plagues the military WASHINGTON -- The best nominated film not to win an Oscar this year is "The Invisible War," a riveting account of sexual assault in the military focusing on the elite Marine barracks in Washington, just blocks from the White House and a bridge away f
- Consider write-in candidate Editor: April 9 is the day of a big election for the City of Mt. Vernon. At that time we elect two new city council members to represent us as our city moves forward If you have not already decided who to support and vote for, I urge you to consider
- More Opinion Headlines