- Much hope in Pope Rome -- "May God forgive you." That's Cardinal Timothy Dolan's translation of a joke that Pope Francis told the College of Cardinals a day after being elected the 267th pontiff. Having watched the prayerful mien of some of the cardinals going into t
- Don't blame campaign aides for GOP's woes If there was any villain at the just-completed Conservative Political Action Conference, it was the generic figure of the Republican political consultant. Overpaid, unprincipled, always on the lookout for the next client -- or easy mark -- the consul
- Support needed for municipalities Local governments near nuclear power plants are facing difficulties in drawing up antidisaster plans that stipulate how and where residents should evacuate after the outbreak of a nuclear crisis. We are seriously concerned about this problem. Without
- Eliminate Corporal punishment The Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry has issued a notice to boards of education across the country, providing guidelines on corporal punishment. The notice lists examples of physical punishment banned under the School Educa
- Why does Obama need 1.6 billion bullets? Dear Mainstream Media, Back in 2008, candidate Barack Obama went off his teleprompter and added a couple of sentences to the text of a speech about expanding the Peace Corps and AmeriCorps. Over rolling applause, the soon-to-be president of the Unit
- Subsidizing junk food Kudos to The Washington Post's Eli Saslow for a vivid story in Sunday's paper about the burgeoning federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and its impact on struggling Woonsocket, R.I. Because of the 2008-09 recession and new eligibility ru
Tea Party to blame
A letter to the Register-News some time ago cast aspersions on moderate Republicans and the "Rhino media" for the election fiasco. I respectfully disagree with this assessment for the election loss.
Wasteful spending by USPS
I would like to touch on the recent decision by the United States Postal Service to terminate deliveries and various operations on Saturdays.
Some systems need some work
By JIM RIPPY
I get dozens of emails and suggestions on issues and items that folks want to see in my weekly column.
Stop using new math
Recently there was some discussion on the cost per hour of the medical services provided at the Jefferson County Justice Center during the last few years of housing prisoners from both outside and inside the county.
- More Opinion Headlines