MT. VERNON —
MT. VERNON — The Rams wrestling team knocked off Murphysboro 42-29 on Tuesday night.
Nolan Ford (220 pounds), Quentin Favors (126), Michael Gray (138), Chase Vosburgh (152) and Alex Vosburgh (170) all recorded pins.
Kalen Roberts won his match 18-5 at 113 pounds. Demontez Miller-Grey won his 160-pound match 9-8.
Mt. Vernon improved to 7-3 this season after the victory.
The Rams travel to Herrin on Thursday before traveling to the Mascoutah Invitational Tournament on Saturday.
MT. VERNON —
- Rain washes away season early HERRIN - Weather ended up being the ultimate opponent in Mt. Vernon's opening round softball game. The Lady Rams trailed Carbondale 6-5 in the bottom of the fifth inning. Lightning delayed the game at about 5:27 p.m. About 90 minutes later the game w
- Palmer ends career with record CHARLESTON – Mt. Vernon's Aaliyah Palmer ended her girls track career as a record holder. Palmer hurled the shot put 39 feet, 11 inches at the 2A state finals this weekend. Previously, Palmer had tied the school record with a throw of 39 feet, six in
- Trojans take first regional title BLUFORD – It's been a season of milestones for Webber's baseball team. The Trojans can add a regional title to a list that includes the school record for wins and Ty Henderson's 500th career strikeouts. Webber knocked off Woodlawn 4-1 to win the 1A
- Crowning achievement WALTONVILLE – Chelsea Miller ended her glittering girls track career in storybook fashion. The Waltonville senior who competes for the Sesser-Valier/Waltonville track team finished her career with 10 state medals and one state title. For the hyper-c
- School board puts budget on public display MT VERNON – The Mt. Vernon Township Board of Education Monday voted to place the district's tentative amended budget for 2013 on public display for 30 days. Superintendent Mike Smith explained that changes may still be made to the document, which at
Trojans take first regional title
It's been a season of milestones for Webber's baseball team.
Wayne City downs Woodlawn softball
Wayne City used early offense and a solid pitching performance to beat the Lady Cardinals 9-4 in Saturday's 1A regional final.
- Sports briefs Palmer advances at track state Mt. Vernon's Aaliyah Palmer will compete in two events at today's 2A girls track and field state final. Palmer qualified from Friday's preliminary round in the shot put and discus. Palmer threw the shot put 39 feet, 11
- Area teams contend for titles Sam Root and Mike Kehrer have had their baseball teams in this position before. Root and Webber are making their third straight regional final appearance today. Kehrer and Woodlawn are trying to claim its third straight regional crown. “It feels rea
- Rams qualify for state in 5 events SALEM – Mt. Vernon's boys track team will be well represented at next week's state finals. The Rams advanced two of their relay teams along with three individuals while competing at the Salem sectional Thursday. “I'm just really happy,” Mt. Vernon c
- More Sports Headlines