Lady Cardinals claim MTC tourney title
Carly Ethridge won a pitching duel with Maegan Eskew in Saturday’s Midland Trail Conference tournament title game.
- Sports briefs Mater Dei shuts down Mt. Vernon Mt. Vernon's baseball team lost 4-0 to Breese Mater Dei on Friday. Tyler Ellis pitched a complete game for the Rams. He had five strikeouts and one walk while allowing three earned runs. Landon Thomas and Colten Meador
- Palmer, Golliday advance for Lady Rams TROY – A veteran track athlete and a newcomer will represent the Mt. Vernon girls track at the state finals this year. Senior Aaliyah Palmer moved on in the shot put and discus. Charde Golliday, a freshman, qualified in the 400 meters. Both competed
- FIFA 'reevaluating' Brazilian version of vuvuzela SAO PAULO (AP) — The days of the caxirola, Brazil's version of the vuvuzela, may be over even before the Confederations Cup begins in June. FIFA and the local 2014 World Cup organizing committee said Friday they are reconsidering whether to allow fan
- Instant Impact MT. VERNON – Haley Lockhart spent months rehabilitating her knee. About two weeks ago, the Mt. Vernon senior was medically cleared to participate in sports after suffering a torn ACL during basketball season. The same day she took batting practice on
Rams race to second in South Seven
Mt. Vernon's boys track team placed second to Cahokia at the South Seven meet Friday.
- Sports briefs Lady Rams shut down Centralia Mt. Vernon's girls soccer team edged Centralia 1-0 Thursday. Whitney Warner scored the only goal of the game. It came about midway through the second half of action. Mt. Vernon improved to 11-7-1 and opens postseason pla
- Petitioners ask marathon to let them finish in '14 BOSTON (AP) -- Runners who couldn't complete this year's Boston Marathon because of the bombs at the finish line have created an online petition asking organizers to let them into next year's race. The petition at change.org had more than 20,000 sign
- Busch has solid test at Indy, 500 unlikely INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Kurt Busch wants to race an IndyCar at Indianapolis. Just not now. The 2004 Sprint Cup champion kept Ryan Hunter-Reay's primary car out of trouble Thursday, topping 218 mph on one of the world's most prestigious tracks. He became
- Great debut for Castro, Woods solid at Players PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Tiger Woods was nine shots out of the lead, not the best position at The Players Championship, especially since he had not even started his round. Perhaps the bigger surprise was the guy who posted the record-tying roun
- More Sports Headlines
- Lady Cardinals claim MTC tourney title