MT. VERNON — — Mt. Vernon fire personnel responded to a garage fire shortly before 6:30 a.m. Sunday in the 1400 block of Wescott. The garage was destroyed in the fire, as well as one vehicle. The detached garage was owned by Rodney Pierce. Accoording to Mt. Vernon Fire Department Assistant Chief Kevin Sargent, the garage was heavily involved with fire when firefighters arrived at the scene. The homeowner had pulled one vehicle out of the garage by the time firefighters arrived, but another four-wheel drive vehicle was destroyed in the fire. Sargent said the cause of the fire is under investigation. MVFD cleared the scene after fighting the fire for about two hours. No injuries were reported as a result of the blaze.
Ina students have Happy Feet
INA — Happy faces accompanied the happy feet of student at Ina Grade School Friday as they participated in a Happy Feet Walk-A-Thon.Continued ...
- Thursday Night Live kicks off season
- Horace Mann demolition underway
- Wolves, bears and piggies, oh my!
- Ina students have Happy Feet
Tournament deadline approaching
The deadline for teams to sign up in the Max Hoopster Gus Macker 3-on-3 Tournament is Monday. "That's for online sign-ups," said Bonnie Jerdon, member of the Mt. Vernon Festivals Committee. "We are still looking for teams of four people each to playContinued ...
- Rainey given 40 years
- County's financial picture improves
- Armory property considered for events
- Tournament deadline approaching
Geraldine "Jerry" Williams
Geraldine "Jerry" Williams, 86, of Bonnie, passed away at 11:45 p.m. , Thursday, May 16, 2013, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor. She was born on Oct. 28, 1926, the daughter of Paul and Dorothy (Kirk) Brumitt. She was married to Thurmand Williams for 6Continued ...
- Norma Ericson
- Scott Etienne
- Doris Webb
- Ruby Shelton
- Geraldine "Jerry" Williams
Feces contaminates 58 percent of public swimming pools
Human feces taints more than half of public swimming pools, a finding U.S. health officials are using to urge better personal hygiene as the summer months approach.Continued ...
- Editorial: Seizure of AP phone records insult to independent press
- How to get the most out of your air conditioner this summer
- VIDEO: How robots will shape the future
- Feces contaminates 58 percent of public swimming pools