MT. VERNON — Mt. Vernon Primary Center third graders put on one of three Christmas performances on Wednesday evening in the gym. The students were led by music teacher Janet Sinks and sang “Frosty the Snowman,” “Snow Day,” and several original compositions. The third graders wrote wintry haikus and performed dances and xylophone music set to their minimalist poetry. Primary Center Principal Shannon Marler said Christmas performances began Tuesday and will continue today as well.
'Run to the Wall' pit stop made in Mt. Vernon
An estimated 800 cyclists from around the country made a pit stop in Mt. Vernon on Tuesday as one of the legs on the “Run to the Wall.” Veterans and their families take the trek to the nation's capitol for a Memorial Day service. The group began their journey in California. They visited Jefferson Barricks in St. Louis this morning before coming to Mt. Vernon, where they received gas at the B.P. service station on 44th Street and ate lunch at Dale's Harley-Davidson.Continued ...
- Bark for Life benefits Jefferson County Relay for Life
- Ready to honor
- Ina students have Happy Feet
- 'Run to the Wall' pit stop made in Mt. Vernon
School board member resigns from position
MT. VERNON - A four-year veteran of the Mt. Vernon Township High School Board of Education has resigned from office. Cynthia Davis said she chose to step down from the board due to "family matters." She will be relocating from the area and Monday nigContinued ...
- NFL, Xbox enhancing interactive television viewing
- No Headline Provided
- Council hears report on DMDC
- School board member resigns from position
Rain washes away season early
HERRIN - Weather ended up being the ultimate opponent in Mt. Vernon's opening round softball game. The Lady Rams trailed Carbondale 6-5 in the bottom of the fifth inning. Lightning delayed the game at about 5:27 p.m. About 90 minutes later the game wContinued ...
- Palmer ends career with record
- Trojans take first regional title
- Crowning achievement
- Rain washes away season early
Where to get the best deal on beer, haircuts, movies
Looking for a good deal on a six-pack of beer? Try Charlotte. A haircut that won't burn a hole in your wallet? Harlingen, Texas, is your best bet. A trip to the movies? Hilo, Hawaii, is supposed to be nice this time of year.Continued ...
- In fan fiction, your favorite characters do what you want them to
- What you need to know about preparing for tornadoes
- VIDEO: Tumblr sold to Yahoo! for $1.1 billion
- Where to get the best deal on beer, haircuts, movies